The LSSICE applies to any type of file or device that is downloaded to a user’s terminal equipment to store data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those widely used files that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies are small text files sent to a browser from a Web server to record user activity on a Web site, so that this information can be retrieved later while surfing the different connected pages.
Cookies usually store technical information, personal preferences, content personalization, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
Next, a classification of cookies is made according to a number of categories. However, it is necessary to take into account that the same cookie can be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own Cookies: are those sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party Cookies: are those sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
If the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself, but the information collected by them is managed by a third party, they will not be considered its own cookies.
According to the period of time they remain activated
According to the period of time they remain activated in the terminal equipment, we can distinguish:
- Session cookies: are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are generally used to store information that is only of interest to keep for providing the service requested by the user on a single occasion (for example, a list of products purchased).
- Persistent Cookies: are a type of cookie in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie and which can vary from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical Cookies: are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application, and use the different options or services existing therein, such as, for example, to control traffic and data communication, identify session, access restricted access parts, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, make a request to register or participate in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for video or sound dissemination or share content through social networks.
- Personalization Cookies: are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics, based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as language, the type of browser through which they access the service. The regional configuration of where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: these cookies enable the person responsible for monitoring and analyzing the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to draw up navigation profiles of the users of these websites, applications and platforms in order to introduce improvements in the function of the analysis of the data of use made by the users of the service.
- Advertising Cookies: are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the publisher has included on a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria such as edited content or the frequency with which ads are displayed.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: these cookies allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the publisher has included on a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information about user behavior, obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, allowing the development of a specific profile to display ads based on it.
How to disable cookies in major web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted
Rejecting cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.
Bel’azeite – Unipessoal, Lda., may modify this cookies policy in accordance with legislative and regulatory requirements, in order to adapt the policy to the instructions issued by the Agência Portuguesa de Proteção de Dados, for technical reasons or web reorganization; therefore, we recommend that you visit it periodically.